Easy Spicy Chinese Noodles with Pork

June 25, 2014

There are some days – and this is one of them – when I need a bit of dirty spice to get me going. Something with meat and heat, something that will slither into my mouth, something that will leave a glow and remind me that tomorrow – or the next day – the sun is bound to come up.

Most people would consider this supper, but few things make me happier in the morning. After all, why not?

Spicy Chinese Noodles

Cook a pound of Chinese noodles, dried egg noodles or spaghetti until al dente, drain, toss with a tablespoon of peanut oil and set aside.

Mince fresh, peeled ginger until you have a quarter cup (it should be about a 3 inch long piece).

Chop 4 scallions.

Mix 2 teaspoons of sugar into 5 tablespoons of Chinese hot bean paste with garlic (or Korean Kochujang sauce) and set aside.

Heat a wok until a drop of water skitters across the surface.  Add two tablespoons of peanut oil, toss in the ginger and stir fry for about half a minute, until the fragrance is hovering over the wok.

Add a pound of ground pork and stir fry until all traces of pink have disappeared.  Add the bean sauce mixture and cook and stir for about 2 minutes.

Stir in the scallions and noodles, and quickly toss.  Add a drop of sesame oil and turn out onto a platter.

Serves 4

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

• Tbake7 says:

I made this tonight, and it is quick, easy and delicious. I could easily eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

• Sara @ Sabzi says:

These have become a staple at our house. Thanks for this super easy recipe!

• dominique says:

This is such a perfect recipe and has become a staple in our family. I just made a vegetarian version using cauliflower chopped very fine in my magimix and it was almost as good as the porky version. Great stuff.

• Jill says:

Please give me the brand of Chinese hot bean paste!

• admin says:

I use Lan Chi Black Bean Sauce with Chili, which is sold in many supermarkets. It’spretty hot, so I sometimes cut it with Union Foods Brand Bean Paste if I’m making it for someone with a low tolerance for spice.

• Lisa Rosman says:

I’m making this for the first time today because someone gave me a jar of the Lan Chi Black Bean Sauce with Chili and I’m stuck on my own book project. (When I can’t write, I cook.) As I chop scallions and ginger, I’m listening to you read Save Me the Plums, which I love on myriad levels. Essentially I’m participating in a one-woman Reichl immersion program here in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, today. I’m sure you’re busy with your upcoming book release, but I miss your blog posts!

• Shelby says:

I loved “Save Me The Plums.” It spurred me to a try a spate of recipes this week — Chicken Tiki Masala, a pseudo risotto dish made with pearled barley and black-eyed peas, and an eggplant parmesan casserole. As soon as I can get the Chinese black bean paste with garlic, your Easy Spicy Chinese Noodles With Pork will be on the household menu.

• Kathleen Cressler says:

I read Save Me the Plums and saw this recipe and knew I had to make it. It has also become a staple in our house. I am planning on making it this weekend as part of my Chinese New Year menu too! Thank you Ruth for sharing it! Miss Gourmet Magazine every day!

• I’m making this recipe tonight. I was very lucky growing up, in that my dear mother was a lifelong gourmet chef and Gourmet subscriber (she was the oldest ever graduate of the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco). I miss her, and I miss you and Gourmet, Ruth, and try to honor you both by becoming a serious (home) chef myself.