Such an Easy Appetizer

November 11, 2014

Tart,unbaked

Made a mushroom tart the other day that was so easy – and so delicious – I thought I’d pass the recipe on.

Saute 3 minced shallots in a tablespoon of butter. When the fragrance begins to rise from the pan, add 12 ounces or so of ordinary mushrooms and saute until they’ve surrendered all their juices. Keep cooking until the liquid has evaporated.  (At medium heat this will take 20 to 30 minutes.)  Add salt and pepper, then a good slug of cream sherry, and cook, stirring, until the sherry has cooked away.  Set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 400.

Plunk a package of defrosted frozen puff pastry (I use Dufour) onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Spread 12 ounces of well-drained ricotta (I like Bellweather Farms basket ricotta, which is pre-drained), across the pastry, then cover it with the mushrooms.  Grate a small blizzard of parmesan cheese across the top and put it into the oven for about 25 minutes.

This will serve 8 people as a cocktail snack.

Baked

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

• John Atchue says:

This looks amazing.
    One question, if you don’t mind: The Dufour pastry comes in a 14 oz. package; I assume we use the whole package? It looked like it in the photo, but I wasn’t sure.
    Thank you!

• Lynn McBride says:

Nice to see a recipe with ordinary ingredients, made extraordinary. My kind of recipe, thanks!
    Lynn at Southern Fried French

• Ruth Reichl says:

Hi John,
    Yes, I used an entire package of Dufour. You could probably use less and roll it out. But it worked well with an entire package.

• Alice O'Mahar says:

Hi Ruth –our book club is discussing “Tender at the Bone” tonite so I looked up a recipe I thought I could do–its in the oven right now & looks good–I laughed so hard reading your book –these days we need laughs –thanks Alice

• admin says:

Thanks for that Alice. Hope the mushroom tart worked out – and that the discussion was a lot of laughs!

• Hillary Kambour says:

What do you suggest for taking this to someone else’s house in terms of keeping it warm for serving