Hi Mom!

May 8, 2016

FullSizeRender (81)

Mother’s Day has always struck me as a fifties kind of holiday, so I looked backward for a suitable celebration. Then I came upon these little gems from the Ideals All Holliday Cookbook.Take a look at that bedspread; can’t you just feel the satiny sheen, listen to the faint crackle when the tray lands on top?

IMG_8027

The notion seemed to be that what Mom wanted, along with that rosebud, was merely something sweet. These are the suggested recipes.

FullSizeRender (82)

FullSizeRender (83)

FullSizeRender (84)

FullSizeRender (85)

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

• Joella West says:

Who cares about the crackly bedspread when your Mothers Day breakfast is served on Queen’s Bird china?

• Happy Mothers Day Miriam and that daughter of yours

• Gerlinde says:

Love that rhubarb cake, I ‘m thinking about substituting canola oil for the shortening. Should I ?

• admin says:

Gerlinde: Personally, I substitute butter!

• admin says:

Thanks, Michael. Where are you? What are you up to these days?

• Joy Kramer says:

And then Mom gets up and cleans up the kitchen, right? I do believe I have had breakfast in bed, but not with that pretty china or that satiny bedspread. However, the smiling faces made it all worthwhile (even the kitchen cleanup).

• Jane Gagle-Bennett says:

That cranberry oatmeal dessert? I go to the local “senior cafe” for lunch a couple of times a week, food actually good for that type of meal, ie. not cooked there, brought in in a big insulated box, and getting out and eating with people is more what it’s for, as well as helping seniors who are at “nutritional” risk. Anyway, dessert last Tuesday was very similar to that cranberry recipe. Good taste – tart/sweet.

• Donna says:

The rhubarb cake is wonderful….I have a recipe that uses sour cream instead of the buttermilk….my rhubarb looks wonderful (we’ve had 7 days of rain in the Northeast).