Even Smart People Get it Wrong….

November 12, 2016

Just found this letter Bertrand Russell wrote to my mother in 1950, telling her to cancel her proposed trip to visit him in England. (He was a longtime friend.) Appalled by the bomb, he was certain the next world war was about to begin.

Things turned out not to be as dire as he anticipated.

On this day, that gives me some consolation.

I’m giving myself the rest of the weekend to mourn. After that, it’s time to move on.  We have a lot of work to do. We have to make sure the America we believe in, the America we fought so hard for, does not die.

fullsizerender-2

img_9194

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

• Tucker Dacey says:

Thanks for the perfectly timed, simple yet hugely meaningful message.

• greg says:

thanks for including this thought.

• Alex says:

Thank you for sharing your mom’s letter with your readers, Ruth. Like many, I am heartbroken, and have been baking as a way to comfort and soothe my soul.

• Sabrina Brown says:

Ruth, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your Mom’s letter from Bertrand Russell. It is comforting to know that though the elections results were disappointing, that we can still be hopeful and still work to create the world we want every moment through love, kindness, and a sense of humor towards everyone, especially those whose opinions we do not share. Your work in the world is wonderful and helps bring people together. Thanks again,
    Sabrina

• Anne says:

Comfort me. Maybe apples. But I need something more

• Gerlinde says:

Thank you for this thoughtful and encouraging message.

• Moe Hong says:

This is white privilege in action. Things won’t be that bad for you; you can afford to stop mourning after a weekend. For the rest of us, though, it’s going to be literally painful.

• Zoya says: